Wednesday, March 21, 2012

From Salad to Soup

Several days ago I made a huge salad of all different kinds of greens and put it in a 2 gallon zipper bag into the fridge. I then made containers of all the good stuff, salad bar style, from kidney beans, red bell peppers, cukes, garden peas and much more. We ate salad several times but still too much left. So, today I considered tossing it into the compost until I got an "Ah Ha!" I love to make soup.

So into the asparagus steamer/stock pot went my bag of salad and all the fixins plus some collards, and lots of spinach leaves. I steamed them until the veggies were all mush and then let the pot cool. I poured the liquid into a container and then took all those veggies 2 cups at a time and put them into the Ninja that is supposed to be used for Smoothies (which we never make). I added the saved liquid to each batch--it took me about 4 batches to turn them all to puree, and then added a large can of pureed tomatoes so I could change the color from green to pinkish red.

Dumped the whole mess into the crock pot, stirred in a couple tablespoons of Beef flavored Better Than Bouillon and let it cook on low for about 2 hours, added a cup of sour cream and some butter just to give it that good buttery feel in the mouth, some sea salt, and some black pepper and combined it all, and let the crock pot heat it through for about an hour.

Wow was that ever some great soup! Smooth as silk on the tongue. Delicious! My favorite neighbor got a large container, my husband ate two big bowls and I sat there and grinned and called it Tomato Garden Salad Bisque. Gosh, sometimes I'm so clever I scare myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment